Paati next door

 



I love to watch my neighbour paati (grandmom) chatting on her cellphone every morning. Paati visits her son (my neighbour) every few months. When she is here , the window is open and I get a little peek into her daily activities. A calendar comes up on the window. She stands at the window and chats with her relatives. Her conversations are tinged with affection. Then her son walks in for a quick chat. 

I don't have to peep or look in. In fact I dont- just a glimpse. But the sounds are comforting (I don't bother to listen but enjoy the sound) that there are people next door; conversations tinged with mundane activities and affection. 

As I sit sipping on my hot coffee I feel good. when paati goes off to stay elsewhere, the window is closed and it is a cold emptiness. 


Comments