On waking up…

Throughout my life I have been sleeping late and rising late. So late that it would put anyone to shame! ( Indian housewife standards)

I have been following Robin Sharma’s blogs and videos quite regularly. he speaks of the 5 am club. This is the club that all top leaders and CEOs belong to. There is a striking pattern among leaders of all ages. They are early risers. They make use of the ‘divine hours’ in planning for the day. This wisdom is ancient and one that Indians are aware of.

After having watched one of Robin Sharma’s recent videos I decided I would wake up early. Somehow 5 am is daunting and scary.. Scary for what reason? Please don’t ask me..

Anyways in all good earnestness I set the alarm at 6 am on my mobile phone. I can see you smiling sarcastically! But yes 6 am is indeed early for me.

I kept the mobile phone away from the bed so as to jump up from the bed and take a step or two to shut off the alarm. I woke up and followed the 20 20 20 rule.

20 minutes of exercise/ 20 min of to do list for the day and 20 min of relaxation ( I potter around in the kitchen).

I woke up feeling so proud only to realise almost the whole neighbourhood is awake and kicking. Swoosh came down my pride. Still not to be beaten, I raced to the terrace, drank in the morning sun and did a bit of yoga and stretches.

I bounded downstairs full of happiness and energy. I was chirpy and active. This was noticed by my spouse too. Point to be noted .. as I am otherwise quite crabby in the mornings.

It is the few minutes of sunlight and the magic of serotonin. I am empowered with more time and a relaxed morning.

Hoping this new routine becomes a habit… fingers crossed.

Comments