Privileges and Life

I must be one of the very few people in my city who enjoys the summer and it’s bounty - mango, watermelon, butter milk, curd, warm water flowing through the tap, clothes drying crisp, air conditioning etc.
It suddenly rained last evening for about 20 minutes. I revelled in the first few raindrops, inhaled deeply the wet earth fragrance and fell in love with the sight of the trees and plants outside my centre which were soaking in the rain.
It was time to pack up. I hummed and began my drive back home. Meanwhile the radio was guiding me on the roadblocks ahead! It was shocking to see the roads being water logged and the traffic chaos. Immediately my thoughts went to Singapore which receives rain everyday and yet how wonderfully organised and maintained it is. As I sat waiting for the traffic signal to go green my attention went back to the radio.
A man was talking about a village on the outskirts of my city. The village boasted of just one government school having 80 students. He said rain or sun shine the students reported to the school. He implored the radio jockey to convey his pain on seeing the students standing huddled in the rain awaiting a bus.
I mused at life and the privileges I have and was ever so grateful. 

Comments