My brief tryst with the skipping rope.

 

Last evening I spied upon this bright orange skipping rope ( modern and plastic) at the gym. I stared at it longingly. In the last so many years I have been tempted to use this but I had not indulged. 

Many thoughts chained me. I was unsure if I could even jump. I was embarrassed of tripping and falling. I was embarrassed of skipping with my heavy body. I was scared if my knees could handle the jumps. Ah so many limiting thoughts!  Yesterday the orange rope shone brightly and winked at me, teasing me to try her. 

There was just one other young girl beside me. I saw her reach out and skip. When she stopped I made a grab. I skipped and voila all my fears melted. I was so thrilled that I could still skip quite well. My trainers at the gym were happy and cheering. That feel of stepping off a few inches off the ground is exciting. Immediately it was my school days that came to my mind. My friends and I would do skipping in groups. Those days the skipping rope was made of jute fibre and remained strong. We even had team events where popular songs (unfortunately I dont remember) would be sung out lustily. 

The child in me awakened. I had held back. I chose not to now. I am going to use the rope again. Those few minutes gave me such joy.

Comments