Do something you've never done before...

 



This is something that struck me when I read the book Ichigo Ichie.. Last week my friend invited me for a session on waltz. He teaches this dance form (one among his numerous talents). I laughed in embarrassment for I could not visualise myself dancing. I do dance but in a wild and no choreograph style!! 

Years ago I 'received' messages which I internalised- I have two left feet, I cannot dance to organised steps', I am clumsy etc etc. 

And here is my friend inviting me for waltz😟.He did not hear a No for an answer. He reassured that I leave the worries to him.  I then decided to give it a try. I am not getting younger. And after watching all these British dramas, to waltz was a secret fantasy.

So tremulously I went on Friday evening. There were few others. Gosh the thought of being a comic figure in front of all made my heart pound. 

Music began. My friend began giving us instructions and guided each one of us. I did make errors but in the hands of an excellent teacher, there I was waltzing away; my gown swishing and flowing... Was this me? I was delirious.

My teacher's motivation, his belief in me, his words- 'you can dance' melted my embarrassment and fear. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the session. Thank you friend. Thank you teacher. I did something that I had never done before. I 'lived', I 'thrived' in those moments. Ichigo Ichie. 


Comments