Vishu, cousins and my Sadhi Peramma (aunt)


 I celebrate festivals in a different manner. I do not enjoy cooking so I usually buy the traditional food. I share the food with my domestic helpers. Rituals are most basic to me. I used to enjoy celebrating when my son was growing up. Now it's all about comfort and convenience. 

I however enjoy calling up my cousins and elders who are in my native place, Kerala. The calls are peppered with warmth, laughter and joy. I am grateful for this. 

On this Vishu (new year) day the young ones receive pocket money called 'kai neetam' . My cousin and I remembered how our older uncles would give a new shiny ONE rupee coin, while the youngest Uncle would give a new five rupee note. My summer vacation was filled with fun and pocket money.

Today I spoke at length with my peramma. Peramma is how I call my aunt- aunt who is married to my dad's older brother. Sadhi Peramma was married to my uncle (26) at the mere age of 13. It is always shocking to me when I hear her recount the days. Married off as a child to an adult man double her age! Being the youngest then, she toiled hard for the family. Those were the days when we had agriculture too. She did all the work at home and in the fields too. She joined hands with the farmers. 

As a child I would always see her outdoors, supervising the harvested grain, boiling the grain, cutting jackfruits, feeding the cows etc etc.. the list goes on. 

Most importantly my love and respect for her was ingrained in me by my dad. 

Today she is old and most of all very weary.  She has not seen my grandkids, yet she will always enquire about my son and family with avid interest.  

I shared some memories with her and she was so happy. After months I heard her laugh with joy.

A little appreciation indeed goes a long way. Such moments bring the festive spirit for me. My heart is full. Thank you Universe. Thank you Creator.


Comments