Feedback from children...

Some years ago I read about Professors at Harvard  receiving feedback from their students. The article was an eye opener for me. Asking students for a feedback? Unheard of in the Indian scenario when we teachers expect our students to merely 'listen' to us, 'obey', 'respect'. Nowadays the scenario has changed at many urban areas where teachers are getting used to students being very open, speaking their minds and being assertive. Some teachers do not like it while some do.

Upon reading the article, with great trepidation, I asked my students to give me a feedback. Most were scared to pen their thoughts. Obviously they were scared of the backlash. So I told them to write on paper without mentioning their names. I was overwhelmed by the positive comments. But the greatest learning came from those who mentioned about my temper! I, then on, became conscious and began working on checking my temper. I do not know if I succeeded in my previous school but I got better.

Today being the last working day, I asked the students to voice out. Today's breed is not worried about expressing freely. Such lovely suggestions and feedback came from the mouth of the babes. One student in particular who has a learning difference remarked this, 'Mam if you could give written work at the end of every class rather than at the weekend it would be so much easier'. How profound. When other students found my method so normal, here was one who found it not so. he even suggested how I should go about it. I was so touched.

I am glad I take feedback. It helps me to grow better and better.

Comments