Mukthi Bhavan at Varanasi- the enlightenment homestay

 

I visited Mukthi Bhavan out of sheer curiosity. I am glad I did. It helped me remove a lot of misconceptions too. This place is otherwise known as the Death Hotel. 

It does sound morbid. But a visit to this place removes all such thoughts and feelings. I was greeted very politely at their office. I was directed inside to meet with one of the caretakers who was dressed in white kurta and dhoti. 

It is an old haveli with ten rooms. It is managed smoothly by the Dalmia trust. 

It welcomes people on their death beds- especially those who are terminally ill. The dying person must check in with a family member. The are checked in for two weeks. The room is given free along with cooking utensils and an LPG gas cylinder. Usually families stay in one room; very rarely if they are big in number they take up two rooms. The family is expected to take care of their daily chores. All help is rendered to achieve the last wishes of the dying person. I heard of one person wanting to meet his sibling whom he had not spoken with for 30 years. The visit was arranged. The very next day after the meeting, the soul passed away!

In the two weeks if the person does not die, another fortnight of stay is extended. Rarely a third term of stay is extended- it would be if the caretakes feels that the person may die in that period. In the last 44 years this caretaker has always been precise about his prediction. It gave me goosebumps on hearing this. They also encourage the person to go back home after two fortnights. Some of them do not wish to go back and stay back elsewhere at Kashi. This home is close to the Kashi Vishwanath temple. 

As I peered down at the courtyard, the caretaker mentioned that an old soul had passed away just the night before. One does not feel morbid or negative here. 

I saw a family chanting beside their loved one. 

From the ancient times, in the way of Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism, people have believed in mukthi /moksha i.e. liberation of the soul. So the people who check in here come here to surrender themselves to death voluntarily. They have practised detachment from this material world. This is no easy task. They are preparing their last days consciously. They leave this world in peace. 

There is a small temple in the premises where I came across this old man. He may be preparing for his final days- yet he looked so serene, so handsome and when he smiled at me I bowed to him in reverence. 

Will I be able to embrace death so peacefully? 


Comments

bina said…
thank you for sharing..very nice indeed...dying with dignity..nirvana
Tasneem said…

Yes wonder.. If we can detach ourselves from the material things..