How are we presenting ourselves to our children/students?

This evening two of my Grade 7 came running to me and commented that I 'looked' very happy today. And this in spite of me wearing my spectacles! I grinned at them and shouted out that it was they who had made me so happy and that I loved them. The joy and glee on their faces have been captured in my mind's camera.
One of them said that whenever I wear spectacles I looked and behaved serious! OOH a great feedback. well I cannot remove the 'spectacle look' but I could definitely lose the 'serious' look.

On my journey back home I mused about children. They are sent off in a rush or in a stressed situation (early morning routine in every home). They come to school and right from the morning assembly to all the classes it is a series of tired and 'serious' teachers doling out advice, giving homework, checking tasks etc.
They get back home only to be packed off to special classes, music/dance/karate classes. Phew. Then they turn to digital tools for entertainment but they have to 'hangout' ,'be cool', etc. Ah Peer pressure.

So much in a day. Amidst all this are we (parents/teachers) teling them how much we care, smile, laugh and joke with them? Do we hug our own wards? Do we hold hands? Do we ruffle their hair?

Do we tell them that they are GREAT and that they mean a lot to us.


Comments