On growing up (Parenting)

I speak of two instances that happened recently.

I happened to take a session on Emotional Intelligence to a group of 20-22 year olds. It was not surprising that the EQ is much lower in comparison to their age.
It was surprising to hear from them that they would change in a few years time. Now I had the last laugh. When I disagreed they did not believe me. Well they would learn the hard way or maybe never.
An individual's personality is set between the age of 2- 6 years. I have of course mentioned this in my earlier blogs too.

This evening as I walked home I chanced upon three boys ( 7-8 years)from a neighboring slum. A truck whizzed past. Immediately one of the boys flung his school bag and ran behind the truck hoping to get a free ride. He couldn't catch up though. He returned only to scold the other two for not having picked up. He was literally bullying them and they obeyed submissively. I tried to intervene. He booed me out! I was amused. Also I foresaw a future gang leader and his cronies in the making. His eyes, his attitude told it all.

Parenting and the environment go a long way in making us.


Comments