The need for appreciation and encouragement

During a recent interaction with 20 and 21 year olds it was with a very heavy heart that I heard the following :

Ma'am this is the first time a teacher has encouraged me. ( This was because I had encouraged him to speak in front of the class and had some kind words for him!)

Ma'am I have never been noticed in school or college ( a very shy student)

Ma'am thank you for appreciating me. I will not forget you ever.


My heart ached for these students. Such precious years gone without being appreciated/encouraged/ noticed. 

Just as food, air and water is fundamental for our survival,  for us to thrive and develop we need to belong, to feel secure, we need to be appreciated and noticed. 

A few kind words go a long long way. What would help is to make it a habit to look for positives in the other. 


Comments