80's songs and nostalgia of a forgotten summer vacation

 

My son has gifted me a wonderful SONOS speaker. I have added Spotify to my list of streaming channels. I am listening to songs from the 80's. Some hindi songs evoked memories of beautiful vacations I used to take to my native Kerala. My extended cousins who grew up in Madhya Pradesh would come down too. They were fluent in Hindi and spoke more of it than our mother tongue. It was exciting for me to practise my Hindi. Though it was my second language at school, I hardly got to speak in Chennai. 

I used to enjoy translating some of it to the elders around when they couldn't understand my north walla cousins.

We would meet almost every day, cavort around the narrow paths in between the paddy fields to go from one uncle's house to another's. We would hum some of the popular songs (listening now) as we walked. Playing the local hide and seek, cycling, eating raw mangoes with salt and chilli powder, hungrily gobbling up our aunt's yummy food.... ah those were the days. 

We haven't met for more than two decades now. Wonder if and when we would meet up...

Comments