Driving around in Chennai's heat

Crazy traffic, noon, hunger and traffic jams made me reflect on life.. I was hungry and going to my mother's place. I knew that she would be waiting up for me with hot lunch ready on the table.. Ah for mothers like her!! 
Also some past events caught up with me as we celebrated Onam yesterday. My family had witnessed death of two closest family members a decade ago. Very effortlessly my son and I blended into my parent's home. 
Today as I was attending a lecture on parenting in the West and India, I realized how much I have taken my parents for granted. In fact most of the Indian parents are like mine and the children are like me.
A decade ago, with no words spoken or asked ,my son and I were cradled and nestled by my parents. Relatives walked out on us. And of  course they were excellent in finding faults or levying blame. But my parents sheltered us. They were truly the Rock of Gibraltar! 
They changed and adapted to our happiness. Even today my college time friends speak of my father with fearful respect. He used to be so rigid. It was always my mother who egged me on to try out new dresses, have friends -both boys and girls ( which of course my father was not too happy about).. The same dad became so flexible about me having late nights, hangout with friends etc.. This may sound crazy because I was in my mid thirties.Again I am talking from the Indian point of view..
My mother has been the fulcrum of our family. She has doted on my son and me like a true lioness, fiercely protective and pampering us like royal cubs...
It is Grandparents' Day on September 11th. I am sure my son would agree that they have been the best people in our lives...
I also take a moment to remember my grandmothers9 didnt know my grandads). My paternal one was the pampering sort. My maternal grandma is the one I salute. She was a tower of strength, fearless, outspoken and an optimist....


Comments

rohan.rajiv18 said…
Wonderful. We gotta do somethng special for grandparents day. :)