Musings over an injured foot

A fortnight has gone since I injured my right foot. Oh there is a glamorous  name for it- fifth metatarsal tuberosity avulsion fracture!  Wow isn’t it ? It is a very minor injury though I was put in cast for two weeks.
So how was my life in these past 14 days:-
1. People exclaiming from sad , how, so sad, you are over active ( sic),you don’t listen, too much travel etc etc excepting my son who stood like a rock through this. 
2. Pots of advice - no more high heel, walk slow, have to consider age (sic)
3. Most asked questions - how are you spending time, how can you lie down like this with nothing to do ( do I have a choice!) ,  is it not boring ?
Now let me tell you what I actually did. 
4. I laughed away at all queries. 
5. I kept my spirit up every moment. For this ,one has to be accepting. I did not curse my fate. Rather I know that what has to happen will. So this happened. Now I need to take care. My entire focus was now on the recovery. 
6. I brought out all the cushions and pillows at home   Arranged them all around and beneath the injured leg. One needs a cushion below the knee to balance out too. So I am lucky I have this huge cot. In fact I have two huge cots. So when I am bored with one room I just wheel myself to the other. Hence I have two similar set up/ arrangement. The side table is filled with fruits, dry fruits and books.  The kindle, charger and phone are within reach. The switchboard is just alongside the cot making it very convenient. 
7. I used the computer chair to move around.  The height can be adjusted. Use the good leg to navigate. So it is important that we take care of ourselves well so that in times like this other parts of the body will work extra. 
8. Used the first few days to send out messages and a pic of the leg in cast via Whatsapp. So the first few days went off blissfully with calls and visitors. Even my students visited me and I had a great time catching up. 
9. Every chore takes time with a leg in cast- moving, bathing, dressing up etc. so a considerable amount of time is spent well in grooming. 
10.  One then realises how each little part of the body is so so important. I took time to send a prayer of gratitude. How fortunate that this was such a minor injury and even more blessed to have an otherwise normal physique and life. How wonderful ‘normal’ is. 
11. Just about perfect break to luxuriate in bed, read and watch Netflix(Thanks to a friend ). Netflix dominated my recuperation period. Audiovisual is too powerful a medium and no wonder reading books is a task! By the way I may be adept at Chinese. Thanks to Netflix I am now learning new languages. 
12. Thanks to Swiggy and Zomato I did order in some high calorie snacks - apart from snacking the whole day!!
13. I actually thanked myself for being pleasantly plump and not being obese because I had to stand on one leg or rest on one knee at times. 
14. Caught up with my mom ( I stay with her) and enjoyed her pampering. 
15. I could continue with my Counselling work at home. My clients were alright seeing my leg in cast. 
Thank god I am not a dance teacher or a sports coach. 
Thank god for small mercies. 

Comments