WorldElders Abuse Awareness Day-June 15th

When I was a school going child I remember the days preceding my birthday. My father would ensure that he took me shopping to buy me footwear. I revelled in buying them. He would hold my hand firmly and walk briskly from shop to shop. In between he would treat us to steaming coffee and dosas.

Today my father is 80 years old. He walks slowly and hesitantly. He now has the habit of washing his feet every time an advertisement comes on the TV. I would reprimand him but gave up. He likes doing it. He has walked several miles and on his visit to several countries he has shopped around  to get me the right footwear. Today he walks to and fro to wash his wrinkled feet. Those wrinkles have seen so much. They have carried him to the burial ground to light up the pyre of his son and son in law.

Today my prayer is let him wash his feet umpteen times and for many years to come. I will lend my shoulder, my hand and my smiles.
I love you dad.

Comments