On Dowry...

Today I had an interesting session with the First Year engineering students. Among several ramblings, I chanced upon the topic of dowry. To my greatest surprise there were boys who supported dowry stating that it would ensure a comfortable start to their new life!!

When the girls were asked to debate against the system they could not come up with effective arguments!
I wondered and gaped! How is it that in spite of the media blasting out the evils of the system these 60 odd students could hardly make strong and effective points!!!

When I began o present  the real facts, they quietened down and an air of solemnity descended. I am positive that they will never support dowry.. I also pray that they will be able to stop their parents too.

It made me realize that often we take things for granted that students would be aware... they know... But do we ever bother to find out?

Comments