Gratitude

Often we ie my generation, is stuck for words to express gratitude to our parents. It is indeed a unique generation. we never grew up expressing gratitude verbally. Often actions, gestures completed our task.
Strangely in our Indian culture it is too formal to say a 'thank you' to our parents! The simple 'thank you' is practically non existent! Is it not strange that in a culture where parents literally live their lives for the sake of children, there is no culture of saying the simple 'thank you'!! Parents and parental duty is taken so much for granted that one gets painfully shy or stuck when it comes to saying a 'thank you' to one's parents.

Thank god for the English language. One can roll off the 'thank you' quickly in the blink of an eye.

Today there came a situation/event in my life when I needed to express my gratitude to my parents. Of course I did not say 'thank you'. Rather I expressed happiness, wonder, in fact all emotions excepting that of gratitude! Till my son pointed out that I ought to say 'thank you' to my parents.

I called my parents again. I spoke, I hemmed ad hawed! Then a quick thank you rolled out or rather fell out f my mouth/ heart! The cutest part was when my mom felt so embarrassed when I had said the thank you!

Thank god for the English  language!


Comments