Religion is an opium....

We may be in an era of IPad and fancy gadgets but for some religion is indeed an opium!
There is this particular shoe retailer whose sales skills and customer relationship is of first class rating. I would inevitably buy footwear from his shop.Visits to his shop always ended with casual chats, a smile and renewal of the customer- retailer bonding.
To my consternation ,one evening while buying so,e footwear,the conversation steered to religion. I was astounded by the observations he had made on some people. 'even though so and so is a.... He is a gentleman like people of my religion!' his remarks bordered on his religion and views not caring that I belonged to the religion or faith he was being sarcastic about!
I smiled and nodded like a true diplomat. I returned home and ruminated over the conversation. I cannot think for him nor can I change him. It struck me that I am fortunate to have grown up in a secular background. Religion is indeed the worst/best opium!

Comments