Poetry in stone...

The dusty roads led me to enchantment
I stood bewildered and captivated
For I was transported to another era..
An era of courtesans, kings and warriors!
I felt trapped within my soul
Which longed to unleash the dancer in me.
As I gazed with amazement
At the magic of sculpture in front of my eyes!
Mesmerized I let my fingers roam on the carvings
Feeling the sweat of the sculptor
Pour onto the filigree, trellis and detail!
She gazed into the mirror, he fought valiantly
She carried the babe, she played the drums
He stood stoic still...
So many stories wrought upon soap-stone
Which gleamed and glinted in the rain-washed splendor!!





This is dedicated to my recent visit to the Belur ( http://www.karnataka.com/tourism/belur) and Halebid (http://www.karnataka.com/tourism/halebidu) temples built by the Hoysalas.. It took about 103 years to build the temples.



Comments

Ra Vi said…
What a beautiful verse!
Were you the dancer who danced the song?
Were you the sculptor that chiseled along?
The stories of soapstone still standing strong!
Only with the novo-world there's something wrong!
People rush to the sculptures simply to prong
Not understanding even a bit of their song...

= V Ravichandran
oceanlander@gmail.com
Anonymous said…
awesome mam!!!
Unknown said…
Lovely Swapna, what an inspiration.
Rama said…
AMAZING sWAPNA wHAT AN IMPACT
RJ